Despite all the debate about why or why not a manicure comprises of self-love, lets us just begin by talking about the origins of the word. The word originates from the Latin words manus, for “hand”, and cura, for “care” (Wiki). Having said that we see no reason why caring for your hands can’t be an act of self-love. After all, it is our hands that take action on our thoughts and materialise our reality. And they are obviously the first ones to bear the brunt of ageing. Yet we spend so much more money and time investing into a facial treatment.
Many celebrities have blown millions to get a face job done, but their hands give away their age.
Getting a manicure is one of the best ways to maintain healthy and beautiful hands. Making your hands look lovely is not the only purpose of a manicure. Due to long term exposure to heat, water and dirt, nails tend to be prone to chipping and fracturing beyond a certain age. Think of how you spend 15 minutes twice a day brushing your teeth and getting rid of any plague. Similarly, a manicure is a simple 5 step process of walking out with hands that feel as good as new.
- Step 1: Clean your nails with a polish remover.
- Step 2: Clip, file, and buff.
- Step 3: Push back your cuticles.
- Step 4: Exfoliate your hands.
- Step 5: Moisturise your hands and cuticles.
Well-groomed hands give you an instant feeling of confidence. But here are some not so obvious reasons why should consider adding manicure to your regular salon visit.
1. It increases blood circulation: A relaxing massage is an integral part of a good manicure treatment, apart from the obvious cutting filling and exfoliation. This increases blood circulation and lubricates the joints. It also keeps skin soft.
2. Keeps fungal infections at bay: Due to the excessive exposure to a lot of elements and products, hands are always vulnerable to getting infections and skin peel offs. A manicure not only ensures timely removal of dead skin cells but also keeps hands moisturised for a longer duration of time. An expert salon will help you chose the relevant products for your skin type.
3. Helps de stress: One of the most common reasons our clients get a mani-pedi is because it’s the most effective way to de-stress after a strenuous week of work. Nobody can deny the fact that the level of de-stressing that happens once you close your eyes and get a manicure done is unmatched. And after opening the eyes you are greeted with perfect looking hands.
4. Helps with avoiding nail-biting: Manicures leave you with freshly polished nails and smooth, supple skin. Nail biters also benefit from it, as they might be much less inclined, or refrain from biting if they’re considering their attractive nails, completely sleek.
5. Keeps winter harshness in check: In a country with four seasons, winters are especially harsh for some of you. They may lead to developing cracks and sores if not regularly taken care of. Manicures are a great way to take care of them and have that clean and moisturised skin all year long
Choosing the right manicurist
An expert manicurist incorporates a careful cleaning regime. They can even detect early signs of any parasitic infestation in your nails and bring it to your attention. They will brief you about the nature of the products they are using and sanitise their tools well, especially during Covid-19 times. After clipping and filling, you’ll get an exfoliation treatment to remove dead skin and even out the skin. You can incorporate a nail paint of your choice or if you feel like splurging, you can go for a nail art day. So what are you waiting for? Give your hands the long-deserved love they need and book a session with me.